Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Keep Calm and Skate On

I haven't done too good of job keeping this blog updated, huh?  I kinda feel like jumping in again, so why not?

2015 was supposed to be the year of "No Fear" where I didn't let fear determine my life choices.  Fear of failure, fear of success, even fear of putting forth any effort (apathy) has made my life not the way I want it to be.

So, I started 2015 out well and started ice skating, something I've always wanted to do but fear of being too old and fat always prevented me.  As a child, I LIVED on roller skates, and it was something I missed.  Having no roller skating rink in my town, I tried ice skating.  I watched video tutorials on Youtube and tried to teach myself the basics while at the rink during public skate times.  Then I got even braver and signed up for lessons.



Then disaster struck.  Two weeks into the lessons, I took a hard fall on the ice and broke my left shoulder.  I fractured the proximal humerus, or the ball that fits in the socket.  So much for 2015, my year of taking my life back.  The rest of the year was devoted to healing my shoulder and going to physical therapy.  I couldn't skate, I couldn't garden or do any yard work whatsoever, I couldn't even walk on the treadmill let alone anything else of a physical nature.

Now it's been one year since the injury.  My arm is about as healed as it's going to get; I have about 85% of my old range of motion back and can do most of my usual tasks without pain.  I'm trying to make 2016 my year of No Fear now and catch up.  At least I can do yard work again! :)

Other medical issues have reared their heads too.  That's a part of getting older that nothing can really prepare you for....one day you wake up and your body starts doing things it's never done before.  It's like going through puberty, only for middle age.  As my Dad likes to say, "Getting old isn't for wimps."

That's a little glimpse into what's been going on in my life lately.  Hopefully future posts won't be as boring as this one, but hey, I'm rusty at this writing thing.  :)


2 comments:

  1. That really sucked! Here's hoping your 2016 is off to a better start! Remember age is just a number!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh! I'm so sorry you broke your shoulder last year. Ouch! I think I tried ice skating once and wasn't very successful. Used to go roller skating as a kid and I was competent, but that's about it! I so know what you mean about medical issues. Your dad is right - getting old isn't for wimps!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments....c'mon, make my day! :)