Friday, November 20, 2009

Achoo!




I've been sneezing and going through Kleenex (ok, technically Puff's Plus with Lotion, but it's so much easier to just say Kleenex!) like crazy the last couple of days, and either I'm catching a legitimate cold, or I've developed an allergy to my perfume.


For the last 15+ years, I've been a loyal devotee of Red Door by Elizabeth Arden.


About three or four years ago, I stopped wearing perfume, mainly to save money.  I used less and less as time went by until I wasn't using any at all in the last couple of years.


This week I realized I missed having "my" scent on and started wearing it again.


Well, either it's just bad timing and I'm really getting sick, or the perfume has "turned" after sitting stagnant for so long, or I've suddenly become allergic to something in it because all day I've been snotty and my throat hurts from breathing in the fumes, of which I'm keenly aware of every time I take a breath.  No, I'm not drenched in it, t'was just a normal light spritz to my throat like I always used to do.


I know perfume can "turn" if not used over a period of years; one of the greatest gifts I ever received was when I graduated high school in 1990:  a bottle of Chanel no. 5




I rarely used it because it was so precious and I knew I'd never be able to afford to replenish it once it was gone.  Big mistake.  Huge, even....because over the years the scent evaporated out of it and it was mainly alcohol, and I still had more than half a bottle left.  I still held onto it though, because it looked pretty on my dresser....but this year I finally threw it away.  I wish now I had actually worn it when I had the chance!


I wonder if when it goes bad, something activates in the chemicals to make one allergic?  Who knows.  All I know right now is that I'm not going to be wearing my perfume again any time soon.  I should experiment to see if it's just this Red Door perfume that's making me like this, or if others do it too.  I don't have a problem with other perfume scented things, like soaps and lotions, so I'm hoping it's just this perfume.  I'd hate to not be able to wear perfume ever again!



12 comments:

  1. When you sprayed it on your neck,was your mouth open? I know it's a strange question but maybe that would have some kind of effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wear perfume or even perfumed lotion. I choke up, and if I put it on my skin, I blister. Sorry, but even being in a room where people are wearing perfume just about does me in. Oh, and I used to be able to wear it. So you could have developed an allergy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even Bessie is allergic to it!!!! Poor Bessie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the side photos over here...I also have problems with perfumes...Bullet/Torpedo bras they are fun, floating as thats what they do everything gets pulled up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smileyfreak: That's a good question, as when I took a breath it seemed like I could "taste" it. Argh.

    Packrat: That must be awful for you! There's so many products that have that stuff in them it must be difficult to avoid. Just now I decided to try putting a little on my wrists instead of my throat, just to test...and I immediately felt my sinus airways closing. Sigh...

    Husband: well, it's Sisco that's been doing the funky sneezing lately...but Bessie *is* his cougar...maybe she's allergic to him?

    Gingey: Thanks! I want to add more "stuff" but just haven't found the time to scrounge around the internet. I think Reese Whitherspoon in "Pleasantville" did say something like "I'm gonna poke someone's eye out with these", lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh.

    That's my comment. So witty! So fresh! So.....unexpected!

    Huh.

    I know nothing about perfume. I have a VERY sensitive nose...and any smell gives me a headache after a while.

    I'd check with Ron over at Vent (He's back tomorrow...WOOHOO)...Ron knows EVERYTHING.

    I hope you feel betta soon, sweetie.
    (Bless you....that's for the sneeze. Did you get that?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi sweet dear, I'm very sorry to read that you've been struck ill, and hope that you'll be on the mend in no time at all!

    I'm very sensitive to (I'd be inclinded to say "everything", but that might be a slight stretch) to much in the cosmetic world and have gotten reactions from some perfumes, too. While there are a handful I can wear, for a more affordable scent option, I've had good luck with pure, high quality essential oils. Just a dab a tiny bit where desired and the scent (say jasmine or lavender) lingers, warmed by the heat of your skin, all day long.

    Sending tons of healing hugs and wishes your way!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathryn: huh back! ;) Thank you...I'm thinking it's a legit cold now, which is holding at bay for the time being. As long as it doesn't get worse, I'll be peachy.

    Jessica: Aw, thanks for stopping by! I'll have to look into essential oils, I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I go through spurts where I don't buy cologne for years. Right now I just use Axe because it's quick (and cheap). I have the desire to get me a new signature scent. Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never noticed this post! I love perfume and the unique bottles they come in. Well, probably by now you know if it's allergies to the perfume or not. I'm getting allergies from the changing of seasons now.
    Essential oils are amazing! That's what my yoga teacher would use to massage our necks with.
    Anyway, I didn't realize perfume went sour. I bought this wee ity bity bottle of perfume that must've been a sampler. An old one. And when I opened it, it smelled just like some old lady. So it seemed to have the same fragrance, but maybe a little more... fermented. I don't know.
    I have four bottles of perfume now (two are just cheapie ones) and I'm working through them slower than I thought. I always get 3.4 oz because I think I'm going to whiz through it. I've been wearing Flowerbomb every day for months, and I swear it looks like it's barely used.
    Maybe sometimes stopping, then starting up something again can cause a problem... maybe you could do online research. But as I said in the beginning, you probably have this all figured out by now.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Gingerella

    My sister and I find that Red Door is one of the worst perfumes for setting off our alleregies. Right up there with 'Poison'.

    best wishes
    Ted

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments....c'mon, make my day! :)