Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Frugal Bookshelf

It's Friday!  What a long, strenuous week it's been here at work.....ok, fine.  I only worked three days this week because we had snow days on Monday and Tuesday.  Getting a snow day as an adult is just as giddy as it was in childhood!


I was going to take all sorts of pictures of the snow, of us scooping said snow, of our dog playing in the snow.......did I?  Uh, nope.  I was a lazy sloth (except when scooping, which we had to do 3 separate times!) and couldn't be bothered with something that exerted as much effort as prying my behind off the comfy couch.  So no pics for you! *said in my best Seinfeld Soup Nazi voice*   Awwwwww!

What does this have to do with a frugal bookshelf?  Not. One. Thing.  But I found that awesome .gif image to insert, so it was worth going off topic, right?

Anyway, Husband and I are avid readers.  One of our favorite things to do when out of town is to scout out the local and chain bookstores.  Yep, we're book nerds.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!  Sheesh, what is with the Seinfeld references today?

We also love haunting our local library.  But what does one do when one wants to OWN the book, but is trying to stay frugal?

Paperbackswap.com is what one does!

If you haven't already signed up for this site, you're missing out.  For the uninitiated, Paperbackswap.com is a place where you can post books you own that you no longer want.  If someone wants your book, you ship it to them (postage paid out of your own pocket) and that earns you a credit to "purchase" a book you want that someone else has posted. 

It's free to register, and is a great way to unload books you no longer want while getting the ones you do want.....and your only expense is however much it is to ship your book to the other person (which is going to be much cheaper than the cost of a new book).  It's a win-win situation all around! 

Husband has been 'swapping for years now, but I thought it time I had my own account instead of pilfering the credits he'd earned. *ahem....love ya honey!*    So, I signed up today.

They also have sister sites for CDs and DVDs!

So if you're a bibliophile like me, check it out!  It's a great way to manage your addiction collection without breaking the bank.


Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I have recently discovered Paperback Swap as well, loving it! Not that I needed an excuse to fuel my addiction, but the books are super-cheap and it feels so "green" to swap!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments....c'mon, make my day! :)