Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes and Homemade Hashbrowns

Happy Monday everyone!

Oh wait, it's not Monday.  Ok.....

Happy Tuesday everyone! 

I had yesterday off for MLK day and while it's great to have paid days off from work, it throws off the rest of the week as fas as knowing what day it is.  Tomorrow I'll probably think it's Friday.

I'd like to share a concoction I prepared for Husband on Sunday (at least I think it was Sunday....but I digress).  He was practically down on hands and knees begging me to make pancakes and I, being the dutiful wifey, acquiesced.  That, and I wanted pancakes too.  Shhh, don't tell him!

I adapted this from the plain jane pancake recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook:

1/2 cup all-purpose (white) flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or 1 cup of white if you're not into the whole wheat thing)


1 tablespoon sugar (or brown sugar)

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

Dash of cinnamon to taste

1 beaten egg

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons cooking oil - I use canola

1 tsp vanilla

Fresh or frozen blueberries - however many you want, but generally 1/2 - 3/4 cup

In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside.  Tip:  use a wire whisk to stir together dry ingredients - it disperses everything evenly!
2. In another medium mixing bowl combine the egg, milk, cooking oil and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (batter should be lumpy).  Fold in blueberries.

3. For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. For dollar-size pancakes, pour about 1 tablespoon batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or till pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm. Makes 8 to 10 standard-size (4-inch) or 36 dollar-size (2-inch) pancakes (8 servings).

4.  Serve to salivating, panting spouse with a self-righteous grin; drench in syrup.  The pancakes, not your spouse.....this isn't that kind of blog!

Once again I realized after we were done eating that I had forgotten to take pictures.  I swear I need to wear my camera around my neck.  Just imagine perfectly formed, perfectly browned pancakes chock full of bursting blueberries.  Not one was burned or oblong or wonky shaped.  Scouts Honor.  *whistles innocently*
Along with my *perfect* pancakes, I also served up homemade hashbrowns.  Husband says he prefers mine over what comes frozen in the bag at the store.  While I'm flattered that he does, I personally prefer the store bought.  I know, I know....I'm supposed to be on this "real food" kick where the less processed, the better.....but in my defense, why I like store bought better (particularly Mr. Dell's!) is because the potatoes are sliced thicker than what my grater at home can produce. 

*note to self:  search for a better way of grating potatoes!
Now, it might seem like a lot of extra work to grate your own potatoes, but it's really not.  Especially if you don't peel them!  Leave them peels on, people.  That's where a lot of the nutrients are, anyway.  Just scrub the potatoes in water to get any dirt off.....and done.

Figure 1 potato per person for serving size.  Russets/baking potatoes work best.

Grate into a strainer (like what you drain pasta in) using THAT side of your grater (and don't grate your knuckles off.....ask me how I know this):
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Why into a strainer?  Read on.....
 
Because you need to rinse them in cold water, very thoroughly.  This will prevent the potatoes from turning an ugly reddish/brownish color as the air hits them. 
 
Once rinsed, shake them in the strainer to get the excess water off.
 
Heat a skillet with butter or cooking oil, enough to keep the potatoes from sticking to the pan.  Slap your still white potatoes in, sprinkle liberally with salt (and pepper if your spouse will let you....mine won't) and let them sizzle contentedly away until they start to look a little crispy around the edges.  Flip them over and let the other side sizzle a bit, to your preferred level of doneness.  Personally, I don't like hashbrowns that are uber-crispy, but do whatever you like.  As long as the potatoes look like they're cooked through, that's good enough.
 
Serve to your spouse/partner who is now so appreciative of your efforts in the kitchen that he volunteers to wash the dishes. 
 
No, I don't have a dishwasher.  Oh wait, yes I do.....his name is Steve.  :)
 

3 comments:

  1. It was TWO loads of dishes...And I did not beg...I asked very nicely!!! I beg for other "things..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeeeumm! I adore pancakes and that sounds marvelous! I'm afraid my husband does all the cooking in this household so I'll forward him the recipe - haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your blog name! Thanks for commenting on my post! I just added a picture of my daughter who dressed up as a flapper girl named Ginger (after her idol Ginger Rogers) I thought I had it on there but now it's posted. This sounds sooo yummy! Have a great day! Winona

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments....c'mon, make my day! :)