Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Homemade Salsa - lesson learned

On Saturday I made homemade salsa for the first time. 

I was surprised at how easy it was!  The more I learn about this Real Food stuff, the more I'm wondering why in the world would I want to buy it at the store when it's easy to make at home.  And healthier.  And mostly cheaper.

However......this was also the first time I ever handled jalapeno peppers. 


Now, I had read different recipes over the years that called for jalapenos, and I always thought that the direction to wear gloves was just an overly-precautionary thing.

In other words, I ignored the glove rule.  How bad could it be, after all?

So after chopping up the jalapenos and de-seeding them (with bare hands), I threw on the food processor and watched all my lovely ingredients whirl around gettin' choppy.  This was awesome!  Who knew it was this easy?

After turning the processor off I had to taste test it.  Forget about getting a spoon, I just stuck my finger in for a lick.

And got a full blast of concentrated jalapeno oils off my finger, you know, the bare finger I used to handle the hottest parts of the pepper.

I yelped.....it was so hot I didn't even taste the salsa.  I, of course, assumed that it was the salsa itself that was so hot, but couldn't figure out why because I followed the directions explicitly!  All except the wear-gloves-while-handling-jalapenos-part, that is.

Holy Buckets of Cheese!  Here it is two days later, after having washed my hands several times, and the jalapeno oils are still embedded in my skin.  I even tried to neutralize it by soaking my hands in a bowl of milk....which didn't work.  Let's just say that taking my contact lenses in and out have been rather interesting......and I have definitely learned my lesson about jalapenos. 

Wear. Gloves. 

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! You poor thing! Once it doesn't hurt anymore, it does make a great story, though! Very Lucille Ball!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments....c'mon, make my day! :)