Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

I Can Sew!



Well, not really.  But everyone has to start somewhere, right?  And today I learned how to sew on a button.


Just check out that handywork!  At least Husband has a button on his work pants again.  Yes I know I shouldn't have used black thread.  Give me a break, I'm a newb.

Before I could do that though, first I had to learn how to thread a needle.....which meant learning how to use a needle threader.....then I had to learn how to knot the thread......see, when I say I've never sewn before, I meant it literally!  But my mom was patient with me as she showed me these basics that I should have learned when I was a child.  I'm a late bloomer, what can I say?

Mom also gave me a sewing box that belonged to my great grandmother.....it's gorgeous in its vintage-ness!



The lighting wasn't great, but it's a peach color.  Here's the detail on the lid, and inside the box:



Isn't that cool where it has the built in stubs for the bobbins?  Even cooler was that inside there were two boxes.....one of them an old box for chocolates:



And inside these boxes were tons of old buttons!



The box will look right at home on my vintage vanity.


Next week Mom is going to show me how to repair holes in pockets.  Just wait, I'll be making designer clothes in no time!  

Or at least curtains.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments....c'mon, make my day! :)